Trump stated that the court administration is still discussing options to add citizenship question to 2020 census, FoxNews Reported few days ago.
Last Friday, the justice department indicated that it’s still discussing options to add a citizenship question on the 2020 census despite a court setback, as President Trump said he is considering using an executive order as one of several options.
Last week, the supreme court said that the administration has failed to articulate an adequate explanation for the push and refused to immediately add the question to the census forms. George Hazel, the federal judge of Maryland, has given the government lawyers till Friday to respond about their intentions
On Friday, the judge had several phone calls with all parties where the justice department declared that it would continue the legal fight.
The filing mentioned: “The Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Commerce have been asked to reevaluate all available options following the Supreme Court’s decision and whether the Supreme Court’s decision would allow for a new decision to include the citizenship question on the 2020 Decennial Census.”
It also said: “In the event the Commerce Department adopts a new rationale for including the citizenship question on the 2020 Decennial Census consistent with the decisions of the Supreme Court, the Government will immediately notify this Court so that it can determine whether there is any need for further proceedings or relief.”
Trump told reporters on Friday: “very seriously considering”. He mentioned speaking to Attorney general William Bar earlier. Trump also said that he is considering four or five options to get it over with.
Trump also said: “We can do the printing now and maybe do an addendum after we get a positive decision [from the Supreme Court].”
“Think about it, $15-20 billion [on a census] and you’re not allowed to ask if someone’s a citizen.” he added.