fbpx
 

NewsPoliticsYemen: Houthi drones attack government parade

The UN has been unsuccessful in its attempts to maintain ceasefire and initiate peace talks in Yemen. Iran backed Houthi rebels, the religious-political militant group of Yemen have not shown any signs of progress since their talks in Sweden. Their recent attack comprised a drone hitting the government’s military base in Lahaj province, taking several lives. The Houthi’s set up the drone attack in al-Anad district, during the parade, targeting the podium to kill senior...
katana2 months ago1015 min

The UN has been unsuccessful in its attempts to maintain ceasefire and initiate peace talks in Yemen. Iran backed Houthi rebels, the religious-political militant group of Yemen have not shown any signs of progress since their talks in Sweden.

Their recent attack comprised a drone hitting the government’s military base in Lahaj province, taking several lives. The Houthi’s set up the drone attack in al-Anad district, during the parade, targeting the podium to kill senior military officials.

The Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV reported that attack took five lives, leaving about 20 military personnel injured. The Houthi’s Al-Masirah TV said that the attack was meant to target “the leadership of the invaders,” and injured several, including the Yemeni army chief of staff.

Yemen has been facing the worst humanitarian crisis since the Saudi and United Arab Emirates led coalition forces backed the Yemen government and intervened in the nation’s operations in 2015. The coalition with two Gulf states has kept President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in power.

The attack happened after a brief moment peace, revealing the futility of United Nations landmark peace talks which happened in Sweden on Thursday. UN chief Antonio Guterres concluded the talks with a peace agreement between the both parties, calling it “an important step” and “real progress towards future talks to end the conflict”.

According to the UN,  80 percent of the population are in need of aid. UN aid chief Mark Lowcock said, “Millions of Yemenis are hungrier, sicker and more vulnerable than a year ago.” but the entire focus is driven on the political process and the nation “does not in itself feed a single starving child.” He added that the condition is so bad that nearly 10 million people are just one step away from famine.

It is not the first time that Houthi has turned away from its words. In November 2018, the Houthis said they would stop their drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen, but unfortunately tensions and strikes have only risen since then making Yemen’s socio-economic condition more vulnerable. International diplomatic forces are putting pressure on both the parties to put an end to this nearly four-year-old war that has killed tens of thousands of people.

The UN is having a difficult time in finding out a way to bring not only aid to the famine stricken areas but also to implement a U.N.-sponsored peace deal. The implementation of the deal is hanging in mid-air as the agreement did not mention who would control Hodeidah city after the troop withdrawal.

katana

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *